Monday, February 1, 2010

Who owns Who Dat?


"Who dat? Who dat? Who dat say dey gonna beat dem Saints? Who dat? Who dat?" ~ New Orleans Saints' Fans

I'm gonna shoot my mouth off here for a little bit. The NFL is claiming ownership of the "who dat?" chant and the fleur-de-lis logo of the New Orleans Saints? I first saw this on Facebook today and find it so ridiculous. I just don't understand how anyone can claim "ownership" of an expression or a symbol that's been around for longer than anyone alive can probably remember. It's as foreign to me as the concept of land ownership was to the American Indian. And then I have to ask, "Does the NFL own New Orleans? I mean, did they single-handedly invest in the rebuilding of that city after Katrina?" I know individual players have contributed tremendously to the city but the NFL entity itself?  Somehow I don't think so.


** I didn't dare upload the "official" fleur de lis of the "NFL's" Saints but plenty of organizations use the symbol including many scouting organizations. Um, including France, I believe.

No comments: